Rigging the dragon proved to be the most difficult task so far. I had a look at some tutorials and begun trying to rig my dragon but seemed to be going nowhere fast and really needed to move the process on. 

I did a search and came upon an auto rigging plugin for Maya called Advanced Skeleton and this ended up being my saviour. At least I thought so. I found a tutorial showing me how to use AS and followed it to the tee, came to moving the newly generated rig and the mesh didn't move. I retried the process about four times, thinking I might have missed something, and every time the mesh didn't move with the rig. I showed it to Fernando, who figured out it hadn't skinned the mesh to the rig. So he walked me through it step by step and it finally worked.